Part 2; Battling the Porch Pirates
Well believe it or not it’s that time of year again. Holiday shopping. More and more consumers have moved to on-line shopping. That means deliveries and those deliveries will draw out the infamous “Porch Pirates”. Before we talk about defending yourself against the onslaught there are few facts you should be aware of:
- Depending on the source estimates are that 1 in 5 to 1 in 3 consumers will become victims of porch piracy.
- Based on arrest statistics many of the perpetrators are addicted to opioids and use piracy as a way to feed their habit.
- Most pirates are from out of town and work the circuit. They will target a city, a community or a neighborhood for a short time and then move on making arrest and conviction very difficult.
- They tend to work in pairs, driving slowly through a neighborhood or trolling slowly behind the delivery person, quickly strike and then move on.
OK. So now that we know how they operate. What can we do to defend against them.
- INVEST IN A HOME SECURITY SYSTEM: The market is now flooded with products designed to protect your front porch. Witha little research there are products that will meet your personal needs.
- CONSIDER ALTERNATE SHIPPING DESTINATIONS: Have your packages delivered to your work or other locations where you know someone will be there to accept the package
- CUSTOMIZE YOUR DELIVERY: Most companies now give you the option to specify delivery times or exact delivery locations and instructions
- ENLIST THE HELP OF YOUR NEIGHBORS: Let them know you are expecting a delivery and ask them to keep an eye out or even pick up the package for you.
Finally, if you do become a victim, always, always call the police. If you have video get that video to the police. You probably won’t get your package back but it alerts the police to where these crimes are taking place and law enforcement deploys resources based on the information they have. If you don’t report it, they don’t have the information. Happy Holidays.